Like most newly married couples, Mr. K and I were poor. We bought a used couch from a co-worker’s daughter for $40 and have loved it. It’s a white EKTORP couch from Ikea and is comfortable and attractive. One of my favorite things about this couch is that it uses slipcovers. But not the weird ones that cover the entire couch with one piece of fabric–each cushion has it’s own slipcover. It’s been great for keeping my white couch nice and clean. Also, it isn’t too wide/deep, so short-legged individuals such as myself do not have sit with my legs in an awkward, half extended position. And I appreciate that.
When we moved from our itsy-bitsy apartment to a “spacious” 1300 sq. ft. house, and were slightly less poor, we decided to purchase a matching love seat to go with it. Ikea didn’t carry the exact same fabric anymore, so we purchased new slip covers for the couch to match the love seat. We excitedly assembled our love seat (because everything from Ikea requires assembly) and proudly placed it adjacent to our newly covered couch and….realized that our old couch really was pretty old and shabby looking next to our new plump-cushioned love seat. The back cushions of the couch were very sad and saggy looking, and no matter how much I tried to fluff and plump them, they were just pathetic. But we ignored it because we couldn’t afford to buy a new couch as well.
Over the next couple years, the seat part of the couch started to sag as well. You know how it is….you sit down, sink low and the back of your legs hit the hard piece that the cushions have fallen behind. It was becoming quite uncomfortable to sit on, and I always made guests sit on the love seat.
But still, I loved this couch and really didn’t want to have to buy a new one. So I decided to try my hand at a little refurbishing project. I purchased some stuffing and long piece of foam and got to work.
Fortunately, the piece of foam was the exact width of my couch so I didn’t need to do any extra cutting or adding of additional pieces. It was really difficult to cut; the woman at JoAnn Fabric used this thing that looked like an electric meat cutter to saw through it–really glad I didn’t have to worry about that. This extremely complicated process of the refurbish involved carefully placing the piece of foam on the couch (under the slipcover). Yes, yes, I’m sure you’re very impressed with my mad foam-laying skills right about now.
Next, I cut open each of the back cushions, stuffed a lot of polyester fiberfill in there, and sewed them back up with my new sewing machine. (Actually, I had originally only bought one package of the fiberfill. This was before the new sewing machine. That one package only filled one cushion, which I closed up with about 7 massive safety pins. Classy. But once I bought the rest of the filler and had the sewing machine, I took out the safety pins and sewed that cushion up too.) I did break one needle–not quite sure how that happened–but fortunately, the sewing machine came with a few extra needles. And because the cushions were going to be re-covered with the slipcover, I didn’t have to do a super neat and professional-looking job sewing the cushions back up.
And thus, for only $55, I got a nice “new” comfortable and proper looking couch!
(I forgot to take a picture of the couch before starting the project and had already filled the one cushion when I took the “before” cushion.)